Skip to main content Skip to search
Tromzikkhang

The Tromzik Khang is located on the north side of the Barkor (bar skor) in Lhasa. The structure was built in 1700 to serve as a palace for the Sixth Dalai Lama, Tsangyang Gyatso. In the mid-eighteenth century, the Tibetan ruler Gyurmé Namgyel ('gyur med rnam rgyal) was assassinated within the Tromzik Khang by the Qing Amban, who were themselves subsequently killed within the building. The name of the building means "the house from which to watch the market," referring to its location just in front of a section of the Barkor that is used as a market. Most of the structure was demolished between 1997 and 1998. The facade of the building facing the Barkor was preserved and the building is now listed as a protected historical site.

Feature Types

Full map Google Maps  Google Earth

  • ཁྲོམ་གཟིགས་ཁང་། (Tibetan, Tibetan script, Original)
    • > khrom gzigs khang (Tibetan, Latin script, Transliteration-THL Extended Wylie Transliteration)
    • > Tromzikkhang (Tibetan, Latin script, Transcription-THL Simplified Tibetan Transcription)
    • > Tromzikhang (Tibetan, Latin script, Transcription-Tibet Heritage Fund System of Tibetan Transcription)
    • > Tromsikhang (Tibetan, Latin script, Transcription-Lhasa Atlas System of Tibetan Transcription)

Place ID: F26666

Aufschnaiter Lhasa Map ID: ga 13

Tibet Heritage Fund Lhasa Building ID: 5

Lhasa Atlas ID: 71

  • ST_MultiPolygon
  • ST_MultiPolygon

GIS Resources (feature alone)

GIS Resources (including contained features)